Police returns fifth with 4-0 win against Rangers

Police FC forward Jameel Perry

LARRY GOMES STADIUM, Malabar - Despite a somewhat untidy performance on Saturday, Police FC were still able to manage their best result against cellar positioned St. Ann's Rangers this season.

The "Lawmen" registered a 4-0 win, improving the results of their 2-0 and 1-0 first and second round victories, while returning to fifth position on the Digicel Pro League standings.

However, Head Coach Richard Hood spent more time upset over poor displays of passing and decision-making by his players, than celebrating goals.

Luckily a double by midfielder Wendell Joseph and a goal each by striker Jameel Perry and utility player Akiba Peters avoided any embarrassment against a side that registered just one win and 17 defeats thus far in the league.

An odd start by Joseph paid dividends, when he opened the scoring on the 5th minute by blasting a low strike through a crowd from the top of the area and into goalkeeper Akel Clarke's far netting for a 1-0 advantage.

And by the 12th minute Police had a 2-0 cushion after J. Perry cracked an early strike from the right, beating Clarke into the near upper corner.

Hood's side had a great opportunity to add another seconds before the halftime whistle but midfielder Kenaz Williams wasted wide with the goal at his mercy after Clarke had blocked out an initial strike by Elijah Belgrave.

Belgrave, a former Rangers player, had another look at goal in stoppage time following a deep cross by substitute Vernell Ramirez, but allowed the defender to direct his tame effort behind for a corner.

But by then, Rangers had already conceded a 49th minute penalty strike by Joseph, and a wonderful half volley by Peters to complete the 4-0 Police win.

Police were awarded the penalty after Quincy Ballah, a couple metres inside the area, handled a throw-in by Christon Thomas from the right.

Police, now with 24 points, are one point ahead Defence Force, who will tackle Point Fortin Civic from 6 pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Sunday 16 March in their Round Three Match Day Two fixture.

Digicel Pro League

Round Three Match Day Two

Friday's results, at the Ato Boldon Stadium

San Juan Jabloteh 0—1 North East Stars

Trevin Caesar 18'

W Connection 0—3 Central FC

Marvin Oliver, 18', Atualla Guerra 20', Willis Plaza 29'

Saturday's result, at the Larry Gomes Stadium

St. Ann's Rangers 0—4 Police FC

Wendell Joseph 5', 51' (PEN), Jameel Perry 12', Akiba Peters 83'


St. Ann’s Rangers—1. Akel Clarke (GK), 4. Jelani Peters (C), 10. Kenedy Isles, 21. Jair Edwards (49. Chad Clinton), 26. Josh Toussaint (Michael Yaw Darko 69th minute), 23. Quincy Ballah (Yellow Card) (16. Keron Alexander 77th minute), 31. Jameel Antoine, 33. Isaiah Mc Intyre, 39. Shaquille Moses, 41. Kevin Carter (Yellow Card), 51. Keron  Cornwall

Unused substitutes—25. Terrence Lewis (GK), 5. Keon Peters, 44. Sesame Mc Lean, 50. Kyle La Borde

Coach—Gilbert Bateau

Police FC—18. Adrian Foncette (GK), 2. Jasimar Ashers, 5. Anton Hutchinson (25. Kemron Purcell 61st minute), 6. Kenaz Williams, 17. Dexter Alleyne (8. Akiba Peters 46th minute), 11. Kareem Perry (12. Vernell Ramirez 70th minute), 13. Elijah Roberts,15. Jameel Perry, 19. Christon Thomas, 20. Elijah Belgrave, 26. Wendell Joseph (C)

Unused substitutes—24. Ariei Mc David, 34. Keston Mata (GK), 29. Clevon Mc Fee, 39. Joel Kevin Lewis

Coach—Richard Hood